Former three-time world super middleweight champ Mikkel Kessler of Denmark announced that he was forced to postpone his upcoming WBO title fight with holder Robert Stieglitz for the second time earlier this week.
It now unlikely that the fight will ever happen. The Dane’s promoters – Sauerland Event – announced that Kessler’s right hand is still not fully healed from an injury he sustained in training last year, and as a result he will not be ready to face Stieglitz on April 14 in Copenhagen, Denmark as had been scheduled. They were first due to fight last November, but that date was cancelled following Kessler’s injury.
The WBO has ordered Stieglitz to make a mandatory defense against Britain’s George Groves, and that will be his next fight.
“I hate to keep my fans waiting and I am really sorry about the delay,” Kessler said in a statement. “As a boxer, my fists are my biggest weapon. To fight and to win at the highest level, I need my hand to be fully recovered. Unfortunately, the April 14 date comes just a little too early but I will be ready on May 19. I have kept my shape and can’t wait to be fighting again in front of my Danish fans.”
“Although I believe that Mikkel would defeat 90 percent of the super middleweights out there with just one hand, we will not let him into the ring when he is not fully recovered.” said promoter Kalle Sauerland. ”His health has always been our top priority. The five-week delay is disappointing but it’s not the end of the world. On May 19, Mikkel will come back in style and put on a great show.”